Thursday, July 15, 2010

My First OBGYN visit

It has been seven months since my husband and I got married and up to now, we have not conceived a child yet.

Our parents, especially the family of my husband, they have been asking us for a baby already. My husband would just answer them that making a baby is not that easy.

We have tried all natural efforts. We have counted days in the calendar of when I will be fertile. We have tried to elevate my hips so to ensure that all sperm ejaculated will stay inside me. But still to no avail.

Although my husband and I are in no hurry to have kids, I still want to make sure that what we are doing are correct and we are doing it in the right way. So I told my husband that I will be consulting an OBGYN so that we will be properly guided as to how conceiving a baby is done. Also, I want to consult a doctor regarding my monthly cycle.

Because it is my first time to consult an OBGYN, I was really excited and I was ready to learn all there is to know about conception. When I met the doctor, I felt at ease with her right away (she is my mom's OBGYN and my friend is also one of her patients). She is so easy to talk to and while she is asking me information about myself and my medical records, she was also typing in her computer.

I told her that I have a Hyper-Thyroid problem although it is already controlled because I have been under medication for the past two years. She told me that it will not cause any problem, in fact, she said that in most cases, they will just allow thyroid patients to get pregnant. Although, if I do get pregnant, I have to inform my Endocrinologist so that I will be assessed right away. My OBGYN also assured me that thyroid medications are mostly safe during pregnancy.

Next thing that I asked from my doctor is about my monthly cycle. Women usually have a 28 day cycle per month. I, on the other hand, has a rather long monthly cycle. It plays between 33 days to 40 days. When I mentioned this to the OBGYN, she immediately scheduled me for an ultrasound or TVS (TransVaginal Sonogram). She scheduled me on my 18th day since my first day of my menstrual period. This is to check if I am ovulating because as the doctor said, I am a "long ovulator".

After my consulation, I went home really happy and excited. Finally, I was able to make my first move towards being a mother. I couldn't wait for my ultrasound.

That and the result of my TVS will be discussed in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment