Monday, September 13, 2010

The Day Before The Sugery

Hello friends!

It's been a while. A long long while.

My husband has been trying to get me to write again but to no avail. It's been what, a month and a half since my surgery and though I no longer felt pain, I was kind of on a writer's block. Something that I just can't shake it off me nor drinking a pill will dissolve it either. I have tried and tried to write something, but it just doesn't sound right. I felt like I was loosing my edge. Hah! As if I am really a pro writer.

But anyway, here I am again, attempting to write again and hopefully I will be able to finish this without hitting the delete button again.

Ok, so where am I now? (Oops, I think I can feel the effects of the anesthesia - - - forgetfulness)

Just kidding.

Oh yeah, my surgery. I will try to give you a day-by-day detail of what I went through while I was confined at the hospital.

Monday, August 2, 2010

My husband and I, all packed up and ready to go, just had to stop by at the grocery to shop for his food. We both know how boring staying in the hospital can be, so we both think that food (eating) can somehow ease the boredom a bit. Just a side story, weeks before my surgery, I sent all my friends a message on Facebook informing them of my impending operation and if ever they will have time to visit me, I just want them to bring some food for my beloved hubby. Not for me but for the man I love who happens to love food as much. (He's going to get mad at me for writing this.)

After we did our grocery shopping, we went straight to the hospital. Armed with my doctor's admission order, I went directly to the "Direct to Room" admission office, had my papers checked, my vital signs checked and then in little over half an hour, I was on my way to my private room. God it felt like we were just checking in to a hotel room for vacation. I was really comfortable. No IV, no medicines, no medical technologist to get my blood, no nurses to get my vital signs like body temperature, blood pressure. I didn't felt like a patient at all.

Then my so-called "peace" came to an end.



First horror. The oral enema.

I will forever remember this experience for the rest of my life. This is one of my most memorable experiences in my 5-day stay at the hospital. I totally abhor oral enema. Yuck could not even be used to describe the taste of it. It was horrible!!!

When the nurse came in, with all her cute little smile, she said she will now give me my oral enema. Because I was all giddy and happy, I said no problem. Then she asked me about my favorite drink, I answered back why she asked. She said that to lessen the foul taste of the oral enema, it would be best to mix it with a favorite drink. Either a soda or Gatorade will do, she added. So I asked my husband to buy Coke. (At the back of my head, I was telling myself, nothing can beat the strength of Coke. The taste of Coke is far too strong that I was really sure the oral enema could not penetrate it.) To cut the story short, the Coke was overpowered by that medicine. It tasted like sea water, but with 10 times, no make that a thousand times saltier than the sea. While I was typing this, I was trying to control my urge to throw up. Yes, it is that horrible! Since that day, I no longer drink Coke. I will never, ever drink Coke again! Even the smell of Coke reminds me of the taste. Yuck! (PS. I didn't finish the whole cup! Haha! Sorry nurse...at least I was still able to discharge all of my poo-poo that day.)

Second Horror. The 10-seconds pain.

So after that came the Anesthesiologist. She is like a breath of fresh air after that terrible experience with the oral enema. She is bubbly, super talkative, a very good dresser if I may add. I immediately told her that her "expertise" is where most of my anxiety came from. I shared to her how scared I am of the pain, and playfully asked her if she could just administer the general anesthesia rather than the spinal anesthesia. In her bubbly self, she admitted to me that it is painful. But assured me that it will only take me 10 seconds to feel the pain. 10 frightful seconds. She even said that I can just shout it out. Arayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10) And then it's over. My reaction was just a sheepish smile and mentally asked myself how long will 10 seconds last? 10 seconds, an hour, a day, it doesn't matter. A pain is still a pain. Haha! I just want this to be over with. Sensing my distress, the Anesthesiologist told me that I will be given a sedative to help me sleep soundly that night and to relax my nerves.

Third Horror. The Medical Technologist and her needles.

I hate needles, the kind where it is used to draw a person's blood. When the medtech arrived, unfortunately for me, my husband was out to buy a light meal for my dinner. I was already advised at that time that my dinner would only be sandwich or soup. I was not to eat or drink any liquid past 12 midnight. I was on NPO, which stands for Nothing Per Orem, meaning nothing by mouth.

Anyway back to the needles. The young lady, which is my assigned medtech, coaxed me to set out my right arm for her. I obligingly did but when I saw that she has this small white thing on her hand, I immediately froze and with fear in my eyes, I asked her what she is holding and what is that thing for. She informed me that it is for bleeding time test. It looks like a small box of dental floss only instead of having threads of floss inside it, it has a blade. I asked again, will that thing hurts? She answered that she haven't tried it but was told that it will somehow feel like a paper cut. Still doubting her answer, I was trying to bid some time by asking her nonsense questions. After a while, seeing her face grew impatient, I gave in. And the pain that I was so scared about was totally not there. That thing definitely felt like I just got myself a paper cut. As my "paper cut" wound bled, the medtech took out a syringe, poke it in my vein and got three or four vials filled with my blood. It was for several tests needed before my surgery the next day.

I guess those were the three horrific happenings on my first day at the hospital aside from the fact that I did have a light meal for dinner. I only ate a siopao while my husband happily ate the meal delivered by the hospital canteen.

Before the sedative kicked in, my husband, being sweet and loving, slept beside me on my hospital bed, offering comfort and reassurances. To end the day, my husband and I prayed together for the success of my surgery and for God to calm my nerves.

And as my husband's snores lulled me sleep, I prayed some more..."Please dear Lord, make everything be alright."

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete